Saturday 22 February 2014

Gluten Free Pastry

Gluten Free pastry can be difficult to get right.
It's quite difficult to keep together so is best left to rest in the fridge for about 30 mins before rolling it out.

I am not a big fan of non dairy butter alternatives for baking so I use goats butter for my pastry and I find it doesn't upset my system like cow's dairy does.


For this pastry I used:
370 grams of gluten free self raising flour
50 grams of goats butter
1 large egg
1/2 tblsp Xanthan gum
Few tbsp of water

 

Begin by sieving the flour and the xanthan gum together into a large bowl.
Next rub the goats butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Create a well in the center of the mixture and add your egg and some water.
Bind it all together and place in the fridge to set wrapped in cling film.
I don't own a rolling pin, (literally forget to pick one up every time I am in the shops) so I cover a wine bottle in some cling film, helps if the wine has been chilled in the fridge. 

Roll the pastry to the desired thickness.

I have some tasty recipes coming up so get perfecting your pastry :)





No comments:

Post a Comment