Friday 21 February 2014

Restorative Yoga



I am just home from my Relax and Restore Yoga class.
I finish work early on a Friday and take this class at 6.30pm for 75 minutes.
This is one of my favourite types of yoga.

I am constantly putting my body into compromised positions in work when treating my clients and with all the HIIT and weight training I do, my body is quite stiff and tense. I am also quite an anxious person so I usually find my body holds itself in tension naturally. This class is great for people like me as it completely helps to soften the body and relieve tension from the muscles.

To 'rest', to 'relax' and to 'restore' is essential to everyone especially in today's stressful lifestyle. To 'rest' deeply is to experience absolute relaxation, where there is effortless in stillness and quietness. 


Restorative yoga is active relaxation practices, which is essential to a complete yoga practice. 


Restorative and relaxation may relieve chronic stress and reduce the effects of stress-related diseases, providing an environment for self-repair. The principle is to activate the Parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for balancing life support functions within the body and bringing their response system back to equilibrium.
 It works to deactivate the sympathetic nervous system, therefore quietening the brain and slows the heart rate.


This powerful practice provides conditions for the natural healing process to occur, and brings the body (physical, mental and emotional) to peace.


You experience 'conscious' relaxation where you choose to be in a state of stillness, which differs from sleep where one experiences 'reduced or absent consciousness'. 


Restorative Yoga may be practised by anyone and anytime and almost anywhere. Although restorative postures may look simple and peaceful, it can be challenging when you first start or at times when the mind or the physical body is stressed. I found it took time to adjust and adapt to doing 'nothing' and be in active rest, so that my mind could settle. 


The key is patience and willingness to let go... to relax and restore.

I have my own basic yoga kit which I use some evenings just to loosen up or to unwind after a busy day. There are some great yoga apps you can download and do from home. 


I use an app called Black & White Vinyasa which is free on the app store.


My yoga studio is a Hot Yoga center but you can still benefit from doing the postures at home.



No comments:

Post a Comment