Sunday 9 March 2014

Get familiar with your natural body shape

Before you start getting down on yourself for not achieving that perfect hourglass figure from all your hard work and exercise it is really important to find out what your natural body shape is. 



If you are unsure what your body type is, click on the link below.
This is a simple guide to help you determine which body type you fit in to.

We are all made differently and that is what gives us our individuality. 
While we may not be entirely satisfied with the hand that we were dealt, we need to make the most of what we've got.
A couple of years ago this would have been the pot calling the kettle black as I have always had HUGE complexes about my body. 
My bum and my legs being my most hated area. 
And I mean hated. 

I went through a phase of being repulsed by my own body, to the point that I became obsessed with fitting into a pair of size 8 jeans. I don't think I had been a size 8 since I was about 12 years old, nevertheless I was determined.
I began eating less, (couple of bowls of muesli a day only) and exercising every evening in layers of clothes to increase the amount I was perspiring. 
It took a couple of months but I did it. 
I bought my size 8 jeans in top shop and the second I put them on I realised how miserable I was. 
I hadn't been out with my friends for weeks as I didn't want to drink because of the extra calories and I was afraid I would be too tired to exercise the following day. 
It was at work while getting a spray tan I caught a glimpse of my reflection and realised I was doing damage to my body by depriving it of essential nourishment. 
My friend Sinead sat me down after that and said something that still sticks with me. 
She made me realise my body shape is not designed to fit into size 8 jeans and by trying to do so I was jeopardizing my health. 


Celebrity 'Pears'

I am a pear; small on top, small waist but big bum and muscular legs. 
That's the hand I was dealt and that's what I have to work with. 
Since then, I have been trying to focus on toning up my body and embracing my curves. 
I still have my fat days where I am wishing myself back into those size 8 jeans but I need to be realistic and I don't ever want to be back in that unhealthy mind frame.


I researched the recommended styles of clothes to suit my 'pear' shape and have started to dress accordingly.









The 'Pear' Steps:

FINDING THE RIGHT JEANS: 



Pear shape figures tend to have wide hips and full legs which curve down to the knee. To flatter this, wide legs and boot cut are recommended, as they will follow this shape to the knee and balance it below. 
Flare legged jeans will actually accentuate the hips, as it narrows at the knee and makes the hips look bigger by comparison. 
Just make sure they're not too tight, so that the material isn't stretched and they don't make your bottom stick out (they'll also be more comfortable). When it comes to colour, dark blue is the best, along with grey and black. 

TOPS/T-SHIRTS: 



First things first, a well padded bra, 

preferably push up - it'll balance between your upper and lower body a bit more if that's what you need. 
Anything with "cape" type sleeves, or wide sleeves, are good, as they can make your shoulders seem wider/stronger and provide balance to you hips.
 Make sure that it fits closer around the waist, as in pear shapes this is usually well defined and narrower than the rest of your body. 
Be sure to get one that's not too big - they can miss the waist out and create the impression that you are triangular. 
Blouses work with most shapes to be honest, but one of the best ways to wear them casually is with puffy sleeves (again, they create the illusion of wider shoulders) buttoned just up to the bust with a low necked t-shirt or vest top underneath, which creates the impression of a fuller bust.
 Tunic style tops that gather at the waist are good, and belted tops so you can control how much you emphasize your waist.

SKIRTS: 






Most will work with your shape - but I'd say the best are from just above the knee to mid thigh length. 
This way you can show off your legs without over-emphasizing your thighs.
Style wise, straight cut, as these also don't over-emphasize your thighs and hips. 
Again, any style and colour that you like will work.

COATS AND JACKETS: 






Anything that's belted. This way you can avoid the possible triangle effect and flaunt your waist at the same time. Also, long coats, finishing between mid-thighs and knees tend to look lovely.

DRESSES:





The best are the ones are those that gather underbust, and follow your body shape to the top of your hips and then moves out for a loose bottom. 
Similar style for day dresses but I'd advise against one made from t-shirt material as they have a habit of clinging to you.
Again midi length works best for pears.

HAIRSTYLE: 



I know, its a weird thing to mention in relation to body shape, but a fuller hairstyle with more volume can help to keep the balance between your lower and upper body. 
Try curls or beach waves to improve the volume of your hair further.


I love this quote;


Be proud of what you have achieved so far and stay positive about your results. 
Realise what is achievable for your body type and know that any amount of progress is still progress!!

"If you start now, you will start seeing results one day earlier than if you start tomorrow!!"

Moral;
Start Now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment